Most gardeners I know don't pay a lot of attention to trends. They know what they like and won't rush out to buy a plant or gadget just because some so-called expert raves about it. Still, it can be amusing to have a look at what's hot, and what's not.
For example, did you know that the 2011 color of the year is honeysuckle? The first question that comes to my mind is, which type? — orange-flowered Mandarin Honeysuckle, yellow-flowered common honeysuckle, white-flowered Japanese honeysuckle? None of the above, as it turns out. According to color experts Pantone, honeysuckle is a bright reddish pink, "a brave new color, for a brave new world."
Here are a few other trends to watch out for — and if you've already been incorporating them into your gardening life, consider yourself a trendsetter!
We gardeners have always known that green is in, but now about eight out of ten people surveyed say that they are incorporating "green" (as in eco-friendly) into their lifestyle.
Of course all of our plants are "green," but here are a few other products we carry.
- Use our Paper PotMaker to recycle newspaper into seed-starting pots
- Our Windowsill Herb Garden and Kitty Cat Garden both include biodegradable pots.
- We carry a variety of Ready-to-Ship Flower Seed Packets that are ideal, eco-friendly giveaways at parties, weddings and baby showers.
This might include using native plants, reducing pesticide and water usage, planting rain gardens to absorb water and reduce runoff — techniques that support a healthy planet. And on our new site you can refine your search results by attribute, such as "will tolerate drought/dry soil" and "will tolerate moist/wet soil."
- We carry more than 150 Drought-Tolerant Perennials that tolerate dry spells once they're established.
- Our Dry Area Wildflower Mix includes a variety of durable, drought-tolerant — and beautiful — flowers.
- Choose from over 120 plants that Tolerate Moist/Wet Soil — perfect for rain gardens.
The American "Brand"
There's a resurgence of interest in American-made products and American-owned companies; consumers are expecting honesty and demanding value over glitz.
Our Company is made up of real gardeners, with real-world growing experience. We're here to do more than just sell you products; we're also here to share the rewards and joys of gardening, and to be your go-to garden resource. We strive to give you the best value for your money, and we continue to update our product selections and website based on feedback from our customers.
Oh, and I'd be shirking my duty if I didn't inform you that turquoise, the 2010 Color of The Year, is... well, it's just "so last year."