Our No Mow Mix provides soft, deep-green grass that requires little to no maintenance throughout the spring and summer months.
There’s no doubt about it: lawns are a major part of the US landscape and probably aren’t going anywhere soon. These lawns not only provide enjoyment for property owners and park-goers, but also support the seed production and landscape maintenance industries.
But just because lawns are so integral to our landscaping, doesn’t mean we can’t think about them in a little different way. Instead of choosing grasses that require constant watering, pesticides and upkeep, it makes more sense to instead choose varieties that are low maintenance and low water, no matter where you live. This will benefit you as a homeowner, while also helping to reduce your negative impact on the earth.
How Lawns Benefit Us:
- - Lawns help absorb and filter water as it moves from the sky to waterways. Without lawns, there could be much more flooding.
- - A lot of our outside life is centered around the lawn, including playing with our children on the soft grass, enjoying a picnic, playing soccer, and throwing the ball for our dogs.
- - Lawns can help cool urban and suburban areas down, helping to deter the effects of urban heat islands.
How Lawns Negative Affect Us:
- - Lawn care can be extremely wasteful; it uses a lot of energy to mow a lawn and makes lawn a carbon negative part of the landscape. This means that more carbon is generated by lawn maintenance than the actual grass absorbs.
- - Lawns can use large amounts of chemical fertilizers, fungicides, herbicides and insecticides which are very damaging to the environment.
- - Lawns can waste precious water resources, especially in areas where there is drought.
So What To Plant?
We’re not saying don’t enjoy your lawn, we’re just offering up a few varieties that can save you time and energy from less mowing, while also growing without pesticides and reducing the carbon imprint of your landscaping. These varieties are deep rooted and slow growing.
Low Work and Water Dwarf Fescue Grass Seed: This low-growing, low-maintenance grass seed mixture is perfect for any lawn. The soft, green grass is extremely durable and tolerates high traffic, making it great for play areas. Like its name states, this mixture requires less mowing and water than traditional grass seed.
No Mow Lawn Grass Seed: This specially formulated mixture provides soft, deep-green grass that requires little to no maintenance throughout the spring and summer months. These varieties are also drought-resistant and easy to grow.
Short Grass Seed Mixture: The Short Grass Seed Mixture will grow to be about 12-36 inches and is comprised of Blue Grama, Sideoats Grama, Sand Dropseed, and Prairie Junegrass. This grass is low-growing, meaning it requires less mowing and tolerates dry soil and drought conditions, needing less water.
Northeast Native Grass Seed Mixture: This mixture is made up of warm and cool-season grasses that are native to the Northeast and will be a hardy, long-lasting solution to any area.
Southeast Native Grass Mixture: This mixture is made up of warm and cool-season grasses that are native to the Southeast and will be a hardy, long-lasting solution to any area.
This year, choose one of these mixtures and reduce the water, mowing and pesticides you put into your lawn. Happy Gardening!