Each test and capsule is color – coded: Green = pH, Purple = Nitrogen, Blue = Phosphorus, Orange – Potash, with a separate color bar to compare your results.
pH Test Only:
Take a soil sample from about 4” below the surface.
1. Remove cap from one of the green capped tubes. Remove the green capsules.
2. Fill tube with soil to the first line.
3. Carefully open a green capsule and pour power into the tube.
4. Add water (preferably distilled) to the fourth line.
5. Cap tube and shake thoroughly.
6. Allow soil to settle and color to develop for about a minute.
7. Compare color of solution to the pH color chart. Repeat for remaining capsules.
N, P & K Tests:
Take a soil sample from about 4” below the surface. Fill a clean jar or can with 1 part soil and 5 parts water. Thoroughly shake or stir the soil and water together for at least one minute and then allow the mixture to settle out for at least 10 minutes.
1. Remove the cap from the tube. Remove colored capsules. (Please note that the color of the capsules should match the color of the tube cap.) Fill the tube to the fourth line with liquid from your soil mixture. Avoid disturbing the sediment.
2. Carefully separate the two halves of one of the capsules previously removed from the tube. Pour the powder into the tube.
3. Cap the tube and shake thoroughly. Allow color to develop for about 10 minutes.
4. Compare color of solution to the appropriate portion of the plant food color chart.
(For best results allow daylight, not direct sunlight, to illuminate the solution.)