Enter Our Photo Contest »
It's time to show off your garden filled with American Meadows products!
Blackberry Chester is a newer hybrid with loads of berries and fewer thorns than the others.
Choose a spot in the garden with good drainage in full. While not thorn free, this variety has less thorns than regular Blackberries, resist can blight. Will produce a crop for many years.
1. Plant canes 2 feet apart creating hedgerows that are 10 feet apart. Dig a hole two times the width of the root ball in good loose garden soil with a pH of 5.8 to 6.5 amending if necessary.
2. Remove the plant from packaging and lightly loosen the bottom of the root ball to release the roots as you set it in place in the hole.
3. Keep the top of the root ball even with soil surface and fill in around the roots. Lightly tamp dirt around your newly planted blackberry.
4. Water well and add additional soil if necessary and water again.
5. Keep weed-free, watered if necessary and pruned regularly to maintain a quality crop. Fertilizer may be applied in early spring before sprouting and again in late May.
HARVEST TIME: July and August
HABIT: Blackberries require pruning fruit on 2 year old canes. Prune canes in the fall of the second year to ground and new canes to 4 feet.
USAGE: Fresh eating, jams and jellies, freezes well and baking.
PLANTING TIPS: Keep well watered and weed free to ensure a good crop. Established blackberries, properly pruned will produce berries for many years.
|Botanical Name||Rubus fruticosus Chester|
|Zones||5, 6, 7, 8|
|Light Requirements||Full Sun|
|Mature Height||48-72" tall|
|Estimated Mature Spread||36-48" wide|
|Bloom Time||Harvest in July and August|
|Planting Depth||Keep the top of the root ball even with soil surface.|
|Ships As||Bare Root|
|Planting Time||Spring / Summer|
|Soil Type||Loamy Soil|
|Soil Moisture||Average, Well Draining|
|Advantages||Deer Resistant, Attract Birds, Edible|
|Ships to Hawaii, Alaska & Canada||No|
Now shipping all orders within 5 business days.
As soon as your order is placed you will receive an order confirmation email that will include your shipping information. We ship perennials and spring-planted bulbs at the proper planting time for your hardiness zone. Perennials and spring-planted bulb orders will arrive separately from seeds. If your order requires more than one shipment, there is no additional shipping charge. See our shipping information page for approximate ship dates and more detailed information. If you need express shipping or have any questions, please call Customer Service toll-free at (877) 309-7333 or contact us by email.
You will receive a second email the day your order ships telling you how it has been sent. Your order is scheduled to arrive at your door, fresh and ready to plant, usually within 3-5 days of leaving our warehouse, depending on your shipping address. We pack our plants to withstand up to 10 days in transit, in the event transit is delayed. We cannot guarantee arrival on a specific day. Please make sure to open your package upon receipt and follow the instructions included.
To determine if a plant is sufficiently cold hardy, the USDA created numbered zones indicating winter low temperatures; the lower the zone number the colder the winter.
Enter your Zip Code to find your USDA Planting Zone
You will still be able to shop AmericanMeadows.com, but some functionality may not work unless you update to a modern browser. Update My Browser