Blueberries: Let's Jam!
Blueberries are not only high in antioxidants and great for your health, but also a delicious staple in a variety of culinary dishes. This season, plant your own Blueberries for the freshest, most delicious crops each summer. Blueberry picking is also a fun activity for the family! With the right soil and proper care, Blueberries are not difficult to grow and are more than worth the effort.
Where to Plant:
Choose a sunny or partially-sunny spot in the garden with good drainage. If your soil does not drain well, we recommend amending it with sand, peat moss or organic compost to help break the soil down and create better drainage.
How to Plant:
1. Space plants 4 feet apart in rows that are 10 feet apart.
2. Dig a hole two times the width of the root ball in nutrient-rich, loose garden soil with a pH of 4.5 to 5.5, amending if necessary. (To understand your soil PH, start with a Soil Test Kit)
3. Remove the plant from the packaging and lightly loosen the bottom of the root ball to release the roots as you set it in place in the hole.
3. Keep the top of the root ball even with soil surface and fill in around the roots. Lightly pat dirt around your newly-planted blueberry.
4. Water well, adding additional soil if necessary.
Harvest Time: July and August
Prune your Blueberry plant each year, removing the small branches near the base of the plant and any dead or injured branches. This helps to promote an upright, vigorous bush, therefore producing larger berries that tend to ripen faster.
We carry two delicious varieties of Blueberries: Blue Ray’s huge, juicy blueberries are a home garden favorite and dependably-hardy in colder regions. Berkley is a high Blueberry Bush, producing tight clusters of large berries perfect for desserts and baking.
Many gardeners (if they haven’t already) are now growing their own vegetables in an effort to eat healthier foods and become as self-sufficient as possible. Why not grow your own Berries as well? The summer months will be filled with an abundance of crops to eat at all meals of the day!