How To Plant Your American Meadows Pre-Planned Garden
Our Pre-Planned Gardens are the perfect way to bring professional garden design to your home. Our gardening experts have created plant groupings with complementary heights, flower color, and bloom time, so you can plant once, and enjoy watching your garden unfold during the season. Each Pre-Planned Garden includes reliable, easy-to-grow plant varieties, care instructions, and a convenient Pre-Planned Garden Map to make planting easy.
Read on for guidance on how to plant your new Pre-Planned Garden
Hooray, Your Plants Have Arrived!
- Remove plants from the shipping box and bags.
- Water plants thoroughly if they’re dry.
- For best success, plant immediately!
- If you can’t plant right away: place the plants outdoors in a spot with morning sun only. Water when needed to keep the soil moist but not soggy. Plant no later than 7-10 days after plants arrive.
Learn more about your new perennial plants with our helpful videos.
Lay Out Your Pre-Planned Garden
- Find the right spot in your landscape for this garden’s light and soil requirements.
- Measure out the area needed in your yard – see reverse for square footage.
- Using your garden map, measure enough space for each plant, and lay out your plants. Each circle represents a mature perennial plant – resist the urge to plant young plants too close together!
- Give your garden at least 12” of additional space on the front and sides.
Each Pre-Planned Garden comes with a Garden Map that will provide you with a layout for the optimal planting arrangement. If you need to make adjustments for your unique garden space, that's not a problem! Generally, the best strategy for designing a garden is to plant your tallest plants in the back, and transition to lower plants in the middle, and lowest plants and groundcover in the front. That way, you’ll be able to see all of your plants in bloom.
Prepare Your Soil
- Great gardens start with great soil! We recommend using natural and organic ingredients to prepare healthy soil.
- Loosen soil in the planting bed 8-12” deep.
- For existing flower beds, mix a small amount of organic fertilizer and good quality compost in each planting hole.
- When preparing new flower beds, mix in organic fertilizer and good quality compost to add nutrients. We recommend Organic Plant Magic All Purpose Fertilizer
- Dig a hole for each plant that’s about the same depth, and twice as wide, as its pot.
- Remove each plant from its pot by holding the plant in place, turning upside down, and tapping or gently squeezing to loosen the root ball.
- Gently rough out the sides and bottom of the root ball with your fingers or the plant tag to encourage root growth.
- Plant with the top of the root ball level with the ground.
- Fill in soil and gently press down with your fingers.
- Be sure to place the plant tag close to the plant for reference. Repeat until your whole garden is planted!
- After planting, water each plant and the surrounding soil thoroughly.
Great work – now you can enjoy watching your Pre-Planned Garden grow!
Watering & Care
- Watering: Watering will depend on your local weather, so check soil moisture often. Generally, perennials do not need daily watering. Less frequent, deep watering will encourage deep roots for a resilient plant.
- Mulch: Adding a layer of mulch, leaving 1” around each plant, will help conserve soil moisture and prevent weeds.
- Fertilizer: Fertilize your plants with a low-nitrogen-and-phosphorus mix, once a year in the fall, when plants have started dormancy.
- Dormancy: Perennials will die back over the winter, and regrow from their roots the next spring.
- Spring: After winter, remember that not all plants wake up from dormancy at the same time. You can expect blooms in the second season (though you may see some in the first season).
- Growth: Perennial plants take 2-3 years to mature to full size.
What To Expect In The First & Second Season
Here is an example of the progress of our Monarch Magic Pre-Planned Garden from planting, through the first season, to the second season. It’s amazing to see how perennial plants grow!
Shop Pre-Planned Gardens
Our Serene Woodland Pre-Planned Garden is the perfect solution to beautify a yard with little sunlight. Abundant flowers appear in early spring, blooming in succession through late ...Learn MoreSerene Woodland Pre-Planned Garden Serene Woodland Pre-Planned Garden$182.65 Sale $136.99Per Garden of 30
The Buzz & Flutter Pollinator Pre-Planned Garden offers a rich tapestry of colorful flowers that will attract and nourish pollinators. Enjoy spending time in your garden, listening t...Learn MoreBuzz & Flutter Pollinator Pre-Planned Garden Buzz & Flutter Pollinator Pre-Planned Garden$143.99 Sale $107.99Per Garden of 13
Our Large Vibrant Shade Pre-Planned creates an exciting, shady retreat. Enjoy a showcase of saturated colors and touchable textures that shift with the seasons. Designed for areas wi...Learn MoreVibrant Shade Pre-Planned Garden - Large Vibrant Shade Pre-Planned Garden - Large$262.65 Sale $196.99Per Garden of 22
Our Hello Sunshine Pre-Planned Garden will give you a sun-drenched paradise of blooms from late spring through fall. Designed to thrive in areas with long hours of summer sun, this e...Learn MoreHello Sunshine Pre-Planned Garden Hello Sunshine Pre-Planned Garden$133.32 Sale $99.99Per Garden of 13
Our Natural Nectar Native Pre-Planned Garden will be buzzing with pollinators as butterflies, hummingbirds, and native bees visit the abundant blooms. These low-maintenance native pl...Learn MoreNatural Nectar Native Pre-Planned Garden Natural Nectar Native Pre-Planned Garden$145.32 Sale $108.99Per Garden of 12
If you love lasting color, our Summer Long Blooms Garden was designed just for you. With plants that hold their flowers throughout the season, you won’t have to worry about gap...Learn MoreSummer Long Blooms Pre-Planned Garden Summer Long Blooms Pre-Planned Garden$286.65 Sale $214.99Per Garden of 28
Our No Nibble Deer Resistant Pre-Planned Garden will keep your garden off the menu for hungry deer. A mix of North American Native and classic garden perennials will attract a parade...Learn MoreNo Nibble Deer Resistant Pre-Planned Garden No Nibble Deer Resistant Pre-Planned Garden$205.32 Sale $153.99Per Garden of 15
Our Small Vibrant Shade Pre-Planned creates an exciting shady retreat. Enjoy a showcase of saturated colors and touchable textures that shift with the seasons. Designed for areas wit...Learn MoreVibrant Shade Pre-Planned Garden - Small Vibrant Shade Pre-Planned Garden - Small$175.99 Sale $131.99Per Garden of 16
- At the end of the season in late fall/early winter, when you start to see killing frosts, the stems and foliage of perennials will die back.
- Shrubs will leave their stems and branches, but lose their leaves. Most dead leaves can be cut back.
- However, you can leave Echinacea and Black Eyed Susan seed heads through the winter to help feed birds, especially finches, and to promote re-seeding. Cut back in early spring.
- Ornamental Grasses also provide winter interest in the garden and shelter for birds and other wildlife. Cut back 2/3 of the plant in early spring.
Complementing Your Pre-Planned Garden
To create a great backdrop to your garden, consider planting additional groupings of ornamental grasses or shrubs behind your garden for four-sesaon structure and visual interest.
Since most perennials flower in summer, you could plant spring-blooming flower bulbs in your garden bed. These will flower in spring and die back in summer when perennial plants bloom!
A Reminder - Enjoy!
Perennial plantings are a satisfying, colorful, and low-maintenance way to beautify your landscape. So don't forget to take time to sit in your garden when the chores are done, to enjoy the beauty of all your efforts.
If you have any questions about your garden, please contact us!
More Helpful Tips From American Meadows
Visit Our Meadowscaping Learning Center
Transform Your Yard Into A Pollinator Paradise
Gardening For The Birds