Help and Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any questions about our products or services, or would just like some friendly advice from our expert staff, simply contact us and send us an email; or give us a call (toll free) at (877) 309-7333. We'll be more than happy to help.
Customer Service Hours
Monday through Friday, 9am - 9pm, Saturday 9am - 5pm EST and Sunday 10am - 4pm EST.
- When will my order ship?
For the most accurate date of your shipment, please reference the date listed when you are checking out or see our Shipping Information.
- How much is shipping?
Our shipping costs are the same for all products. If your order requires more than one shipment and all items are shipping to the same address, there are no extra costs. Shipping charges for the contiguous United States are shown in the chart below.
Merchandise Total Shipping Charges Up to $19.99 $6.99 $20 to $34.99 $8.99 $35 to $49.99 $10.99 $50 to $74.99 $12.99 $75 to $99.99 $14.99 $100 and Over $16.99
- How do you ship items?
- We use either USPS or UPS, depending on weight and address. You will receive an email the day your order ships, telling you how it has been sent.
- Do you offer express shipping?
- Yes. We offer overnight, 2 and 3 day shipping options for seed favor, wildflower seed, and grass seed orders. Please either email Customer Service, or call toll free (877) 309-7333. Our express orders go out at 2pm EST so if you'd like your order shipped the same day, please plan accordingly.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
- What's the status of my order?
Wildflower Seed orders ship year round, while plants and bulbs ship seasonally based on planting season and your region. Seeds and plants are shipped separately.
After placing an order, you will be emailed an order confirmation with a scheduled ship date. Once your order has been shipped, you will receive a shipping confirmation email.
- Do you have a printed catalog?
- No, we do not publish a catalog. You can find all of the products that we offer on our website. Place your order online or call us toll-free at (877) 309-7333 to place your order.
- Can I mix and match promotional seed favors for a discount?
- Yes, you can order multiple styles of promotional/event seed favors to receive the bulk discount. Please call us toll-free at (877) 309-7333 to place your order.
- What is my hardiness zone?
- You can find your USDA hardiness zone by entering your zip code on our US Hardiness Zones page. When ordering, you can determine if an item will be "Winter Hardy" in your area by checking the "Zone" information on the item's description page.
- How are your plants and bulbs shipped?
- We ship plants in a form that minimizes transplant shock, so they can adapt quickly to their new home in your garden. Your plants and bulbs may range from being fully leafed out and actively growing to being in a dormant (resting) state, depending upon the variety and the time of year. Rest assured that all our varieties are ready to spring to life once they're planted. See details: How Our Plants Are Shipped.
- What if I can't plant right away?
Seed - If seed is not sown soon after purchase, don't worry. You can store it in any cool (not freezing) dry place that is not subject to extreme temperature variations. Viability (seed life) varies species to species, but all wildflower species in most mixtures will maintain good germination quality for at least a year or two. In fact, most are viable for 5 years or more, some for decades.
Perennial Bareroot Plants should be opened immediately and the peat should be moistened. Keep the package in a cool place out of direct sun and protect from freezing. More information on storing perennials.
Perennial Potted Plants should be watered as soon as you receive them. Keep them in a cool room where they get some sun through a window, protect them from freezing and keep the soil moist but not soggy. More information on storing perennials.
Spring Planted Bulbs - Bulbs need to be kept dry and cool to keep them from sprouting before you plant them. If you have a dry basement, and things down there don't freeze on cold nights, that's probably the best place. Lots people find the perfect places are in unheated closets that stay cool or utility rooms where the household heat is weak. More information on storing bulbs.
Fall Planted Bulbs can be stored for a month or longer if you keep them in a cool, dry place. However, they do need to be planted in the fall that you received them. They won't last till next season. More information on planting fall bulbs.
- How and when do I plant this?
Visit the Tool Shed for planting guides to help you grow with confidence!
Seed can be planted in spring, summer or fall depending on your region. Read our full instructions on how to plant wildflower seeds.
Spring Perennials need to be planted as soon as you get them, even if there is still a danger of frost. As long as your plant is recommended for your USDA Hardiness Zone you can plant 1-2 weeks before the last frost date.
- Bareroot Perennials: dig a hole slightly larger than the root and plant so the top of the root is level with the soil line.
- Potted Perennials: dig a hole that is slightly larger than the pot the plant came in. Place the root in the hole, gently loosen the roots, fill dirt in around the roots and gently pack down the soil with your hands. Water deeply once the hole is filled in.
Spring Planted Bulbs should be planted after all danger of frost is past and the soil temperature is above 55 degrees F. Dig a hole to the required depth, place the bulb (with roots facing down) at the bottom, and fill in dirt on top of the bulb.
Fall Planted Bulbs should be planted as soon as the ground is cool. In most parts of the country, this would be around the time of the first frosts, when evening temperatures average between 40° to 50° F. We recommend planting at least six weeks before the ground freezes. Dig a hole to the required depth, place the bulb (pointed side up with roots facing down) at the bottom and fill in dirt on top of the bulb.
Policies & Guarantees
- Our Guarantee?
- We sell top-quality seeds, bulbs and perennial plants. They are the very freshest and finest available anywhere and we work with our growers and importers to ensure that you receive products that will bring you back to American Meadows year after year.
- What if my plants fail to grow?
- If any American Meadows product fails to grow, just let us know any time within one year of delivery. We will happily replace it without charge, or refund your money, whichever you prefer. For over 25 years, we have guaranteed our products and we stand by our commitment to provide you with the highest quality gardening products available anywhere.
- What is your return policy?
- Please contact us to discuss product returns. Depending on the status of the product, we will determine the right course of action for your return. Call us toll-free: (877) 309-7333