For individual clover seed coverage rates, and lawn grass seed coverage rates, please see the “Plant Information” chart on each individual product page.
All rates below are recommended for machine spreading. If spreading seeds by hand, add 25% to 50% more seeds. It is wise to withhold some seeds for filling in any bald areas that appear.
If planting Microclover alone in cleared, prepared soil:
- 1/4 lb covers 250 sq ft
- 1/2 lb covers 500 sq ft
- 1 lb covers 1,000 sq ft
- 5 lb covers 5,000 sq ft
- 10 lb covers 10,000 sq ft
- 25 lb covers 25,000 sq ft
- 50 lb covers 50,000 sq ft
If overseeding Microclover into an existing lawn: It’s recommended to use about 10% of the recommended seeding rate.
- Lawn grass is thick and vigorous, and it creates a barrier that will prevent most new seeds from germinating.
- If you plan to seed Microclover into an existing lawn, be sure to mow close to the soil surface and aerate first. This will introduce air, water, and nutrients into the soil and give your seed a better chance of taking hold.
- Water regularly to ensure your soil doesn’t dry out.
If pairing Microclover and lawn grass seed to start a lawn from scratch, use 5% Microclover and 95% grass seed.
- 5 lb grass seed + 1/4 lb clover seed
- 10 lb grass seed + 1/2 lb clover seed
- 25 lb grass seed + 1 1/4 lb clover seed
- 50 lb grass seed + 2 1/2 lb clover seed
If planting standard clover and lawn grass seed to start a lawn from scratch, use 15-20% clover seed and 80-85% grass seed
- 5 lb grass seed + 1 lb clover seed
- 10 lb grass seed + 2 lb clover seed
- 25 lb grass seed + 5 lb clover seed
- 50 lb grass seed + 10 lb clover seed
About our Pelleted Microclover Seeds:
Our Microclover seeds are pelleted, or coated in an inert organic material that smooths out the irregular shapes of each unique seed and leads to hassle-free seeding. Pelleted seeds become rounder, heaver, and more uniform, which encourages even distribution when using seeding tools. Pelleted seeds that are direct seeded are usually more evenly spaced, which lends to more even, uniform coverage.